There are lots of attributes teams look at when deciding whether to bring a player onto their roster -- size, speed, age, attitude, intellect, instinct.
Apparently, the Buffalo Bills staff has an extra factor on their list.
Perusing the current state of the Bills roster, it's hard not to notice the name repetition that exists among the players. It's bordering on the ridiculous.
Buffalo currently has six (yes six) different players with the last name Williams -- Aaron, Chris, Duke, Kyle, Mario and Nathan. Williams too generic for you? How about two Summers? Or two Dixons? The Bills tout a fair share of Smiths, as well.
It's early on in the season, however, and a couple of moves in free agency could mean a quick exit for some of the team's similar surnames. As far as future prospects are concerned, most analysts have GM Doug Whaley and company eyeing talent at either offensive tackle or tight end, positions where a quantifying letter on the back of the jersey shouldn't be an issue.
The Taylor Lewans and Eric Ebrons of the world would presently be safe from any confusion come training camp, that's unless the team starts searching in Erik Pears's old stomping ground and snags Colorado State product Crockett Gilmore for their project tight end.
Here's the full list of players with the same (or close to the same) last name currently on the roster:
- RB Anthony Dixon, QB Dennis Dixon
- CB Corey Graham, WR T.J. Graham
- WR Stevie Johnson, OL Jamaal Johnson-Webb
- DB Brandon Smith, LB Jacquies Smith, TE Lee Smith
- WR Chris Summers, TE Frank Summers
- S Aaron Williams, G Chris Williams, S Duke Williams, DL Kyle Williams, DL Mario Williams, OLB Nathan Williams
- OL Eric Wood, WR Robert WoodsSorry, we were bored.
Follow Dan @DanBegnoche
Follow AFC East Daily @AFCEastDaily