Thursday, March 13, 2014

Bills stick with tight end corps, re-sign Chandler


The Buffalo Bills showed they had some faith in their tight end corps earlier this week when general manager Doug Whaley re-signed 27-year-old Mike Caussin.

Thursday, he solidified that faith, bringing back starter Scott Chandler on a two-year deal, according to Adam Schefter.

"I wanted to be a Bill," he said via Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News. "As a player you don’t always have as much control as you’d like. I mean, you do have control, but you hire people to advise you, so you listen. It’s so hard, because you have to look at it from a business perspective, a player perspective and a family perspective.

"And I wanted to be a Bill. I’m glad to be a Bill, that’s all I’m going to say."

Chandler led the team in receptions and receiving yards last season, hauling in 53 catches for 655 yards. He's been the team's starting tight end and main target in the middle of the field for the better half of three seasons, tallying 14 touchdowns in that time.

As we've said in the past, and as Tim Graham pointed out following the announcement of the deal, Chandler has struggled as a blocker and was shaky last season in the pass game. Despite his year-end totals, he was all but invisible in the red zone and was held to zero touchdowns for nearly two-thirds of the season.

While Caussin will try to stay healthy and provide some depth to the roster, Chandler will likely be battling 2013 acquisition Tony Moeaki for playing time. Moeaki posted solid seasons with Kansas City before joining Buffalo back in December, though his health has been an issue, as well.

Follow Dan @DanBegnoche
Follow AFC East Daily @AFCEastDaily